Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park
1211 W Highway 34 - Loveland, CO
4 miles west of the Dam Store / entrance to Big Thompson Canyon
Park Facilities Map
Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park Map (PDF)
Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park Elevations Map (PDF by Topozone)
- 1 Park Shelter (seats 48; reservable for up to 50 people)
- Six 8-foot Tables
- Twelve Electrical Outlets
- 1 Large Grill
- Fireplace (with approval)
- 14 parking spaces (next to the shelter building)
- 1 Large Open/Grassy Area (capacity of 100 people; reservable)
- Capacity of up to 100 people
- Picnic Tables
- Electrical Outlets
- 40 Parking Spaces (in the dirt lot near the park entrance)
- Historical Information/Ruins/Flood Site
- Fishing (from shore of Big Thompson River)
- Horseshoe Courts
- Recreation Trail Access (Foothills Nature Trail & Summit Adventure Trail)
- Walking Path (around Tailrace Pond/"Dugout"-Deck Area)
- Environmental Education Center
- Handicap Accessible
- Restrooms (pit toilets)
- Drinking Fountain
Would you like a Shelter Reservation?
To make your reservation, please stop by the Parks and Recreation Administration Office, located at 500 E Third Street, Suite 200 - during regular business hours of Monday-Friday, 8:00am-12:30pm; 1:30-4:30pm. THIS PARK DOES NOT HAVE ONLINE RESERVATIONS AVAILABLE, so please plan to come in to the Administration Office to reserve a space for your event!
Approximate park hours are based on the season, and the daylight available. ANNUAL CLOSURE OF THIS PARK OCCURS FOR THE WINTER MONTHS! Please do not expect entry to the park from the beginning of November thru the end of March.
- 4/1-4/30: 8:00am-7:00pm
- 5/1-8/31: 8:00am-9:00pm
- 9/1-10/31: 8:00am-7:00pm
- 11/1-3/31: CLOSED
Rules & Regulations for Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park:
Please note the General Park Rules and Regulations, and then also observe these very important Rules and Regulations for Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park (PDF):
- Do not remove, destroy, or injure any natural or manmade park feature or facility.
- No overnight camping.
- No gathering or cutting firewood
- No open fires.
- No placing hibachis or other low grills on the grass.
- Use of firearms and fireworks are strictly prohibited.
- No swimming, diving, fishing or boating on the Tailrace Pond.
- No river access for tubing, boating, kayaking, or similar activities.
- Failure to obey park closing times, allowing unruliness by intoxicated group members or harassment of park employees is cause for a forfeiture of deposits on reservations.
- Facility Use and Alcohol Permits must be available at facility during time of use by patron.
Please Bring Your Copy of the Facility Use and Alcohol Permits!
Other Information Pertaining to This Park:
Reader's Choice Awards:
These awards are voted on by the Citizens of Loveland, and are published annually in the Loveland Reporter Herald Newspaper's special section "Reader's Choice Awards".
- Best Place to Take Your Kids/Best Park: 3rd - Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park
- Best Park: 3rd - Viestenz-Smith Mountain Park
- Best Place to Hike: 3rd - Round Mountain Trail